Friday, March 12, 2010

I Got a Kindle!

Yep, I finally caved. I've heard the debates many times. One camp says they have to have their hands on the pages and it's the whole experience - the smell of the book, the feel of the pages, the blanket, the cocoa, etc. The other camp says books are so yesterday. One friend says this is the future of school - all on an ipad. I'm in between. I do love the feel of a good book, but let's face it, the Kindle is so easy to use, and it fits perfectly on my treadmill. It's right there in my purse when I'm stuck in line, in traffic, essentially anywhere. I'm finding I read more, books are more accessible, they're cheap, or free. It's easier to read in bed, with one hand under the covers and no aching thumb from holding the page open.

So, I'm thinking this post sounds a lot like an advertisement for Amazon.com but I don't care. I'm really excited about this. It has even reshaped my philosophy about reading. It's really all about the words. Jesus read from a scroll. Socrates said the world would go downhill with the invention of print, because the words would be compromised. Printed text as we know it has undergone tremendous changes over thousands of years. It will continue to change, but the word still remains the most important, and our interpretations of the word, whether spoken or in text.

No comments:

Post a Comment